Saturday 23 July 2011

Baptism Testimonials - John Chua

My Testimony - John Chua

I was born into a good Christian family. We did many things together like going on family outings and having fun times. I remembered almost every night we would gather and together have a short devotion. We would sing songs together. It would then be followed with verse memory, prayer etc. People would say how good I was.

When I entered Public school things started changing. Though outwardly I might still look like the obedient boy, I was actually becoming very naughty. I started buying things without permission. I sometimes got into trouble with the teacher for playing in class. All this time I still went to church. I went to Sunday school and learned about the bible. But although I had a Christian family I knew I was a sinner. Romans 3:23 was clear: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. And I knew that I was one. One day when God comes or if I die, where would I go? Which place would I head to, Heaven or hell?

Because of this during the night I would sneak out of my room and peak into my parent's room to check if they are still there. Sometimes if they saw me I would pretend that I was hot and would ask them whether I could turn on the air conditioner.

Well, one day, a day in September 2001 that I will never forget, something happened. It was a Tuesday evening and both Dad and I were in the car on the way to church. As we were about to turn out of the car park my father decided to turn on the radio to listen to the BBC news. Immediately after it was turned on, we heard screams. Increasing the volume, we realised it was coming from the radio. As it turned out this commotion was caused by the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers. At that moment to the time we reached church we thought it was only a minor attack. After we switched on the news right on coming back from church, we realised that it was no small thing. Seeing the commotion, screams, and collapse of the Twin Towers made the whole event seem very real. That night was a night that I will never forget. For it brought me thinking whether I was ready to die and if I died, where would I go. Once again Roman 3:23 came to my mind: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Finally one month later while on my bed, I decided to ask God to save me for I knew I was a sinner. John 3: 16 says "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Quietly I got off from my bed and went into my parent’s room. There I told my father how I wanted to be saved and what brought me to make that decision.

After that time. I really am so glad for that day October 11, 2001 where at my bedside I made a life changing decision, a decision to be saved. As time passed I wanted to learn more about God. I tried to overcome my shyness of speaking and tried to make friends and share the gospel with them. I remember once that while at the a tuition centre I meet another guy who was also a "home schooler". We talked and helped each other in our O- level preparations. Sometimes when there were opportunities I invited him to my church. Though sometimes I still disobey my parents and get angry with them, I would feel uncomfortable and would apologize. As the years go by, I have grown slowly but surely. But the most important thing is that I know from the bottom of my heart, that I am saved and will always be a child of God.

One thing I would like to ask you, Are you ready when He comes?

Home

The Homeschool Gazette (THG) is a platform dedicated to nurturing homeschoolers as writers, and all-rounded savvy communicators as the...