Friday 2 December 2011

My PSLE Experience - Priscilla Fong


by Priscilla Fong

I would say that PSLE is a journey. However, most parents and children think it to be a chore. Well, for me, I had a pretty good start and thought that I will just whiz through PSLE, not knowing of all the ‘trials’ and ‘irritations’ I would have to face (:

All went well until May – July. I started to get really stressed then. Having tuitions after tuitions almost every day, I was feeling frustrated and annoyed. 
The last 2 – 3 months, which my parents claimed were going to be the most ‘not stressed’ months as I was only going to revise, turned out to be my most horrible and gruelling months I ever went through. I started getting headaches and almost slept every afternoon (wasting around 2 – 3 hours of my time) and it happened that I usually got the headaches when I was doing Mathematics and Chinese (: 
My mood then was like a roller coaster. I gave up easily and usually could not persevere. I felt tired, pathetic and really annoyed (: I remember my father telling me that he supported the government in letting homeschoolers take the PSLE. “After all, it gives all homeschoolers a chance to endure and persevere during their 12 year old year.” I always heard him say. Then, I would always say to myself, “What? You actually support the government while your daughter suffers! Why don’t you try studying for this exam and see how horrible it is?” 
My older sister who has gone through the PSLE also told me, “If I had a chance now to sit for PSLE, I would sit again!” And again I was feeling so annoyed. I mean, they wanted to take PSLE! Why don’t just take my place and let me enjoy? Now, I totally see the truth of their words (well at least I think so) =D  
After months of continuous perseverance, the first day of PSLE paper finally arrived. And it just so happened that I had a headache that day. And it also happened that my sister could not find her pencil the previous night and took mine (together with my eraser). Guess what! I totally forgot to put my pencil and eraser back. Thankfully, someone had an eraser and since that person was sitting in front of me and I knew him, he broke his in half and gave one half to me. As I said, I also forgot to bring my pencil. But, thankfully another guy which I also knew had extra-s which he could lend me. 
After a week, PSLE was over. It was a glorious day. Now, all 12 year olds all waited nervously to the next obstacle – collecting the PSLE result.
24-11-11 dawned bright and sunny (though the weather did change).  I did not dare to show any sign of nervousness when we arrived at the place to collect my results. We took the lift to the 15th floor and entered a room. Fear engulfed me. My older sister was videoing everything and becoming hyper and to put it in another way, embarrassing. She was much more excited than I was to find out my PSLE result. I sat there with a calm, yet blank look on my face. My 3 younger siblings were jumping about. My father was wearing a confident smile on his face. My mother was folding her hands and praying. My older sister, yes, she was acting totally embarrassing. However, she still could be very comforting even though she went wild with joy and even wanted to play the hallelujah chorus on the violin (which she had forgotten to bring, haha =D)  My mother impatiently asked, “What is the bench mark this year?” The lady replied, “194 marks.” Then, the lady announced to my parents, “Your child has cleared the bench mark.” I was happy and smiled. My embarrassing sister was by now screaming “YAHOO!!!” My mother was about to cry and my father was still smiling. I am glad that I managed to pass, it is indeed His faithfulness. I had, I think, a hundred pats on my back and my back nearly got sore. However, passing the bench mark is not the most important thing, as long as someone tries his best, thumbs-up! All glory will be given to God for it is not by me and my own intelligence that I am able to score well and pass the bench mark. This all was definitely His doings. 
Although I had other homework to catch up with, I was totally grateful that God had been faithful even though I had not and still do not deserve what He has given me. Everytime I feel like giving up, there is someone in my family who would come and encourage me. I also feel very fortunate to have parents who can lead me through that whole journey. Since my family a gift from God that money can’t buy, this is definitely His grace on me. I also can proclaim that His faithfulness never fails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home

The Homeschool Gazette (THG) is a platform dedicated to nurturing homeschoolers as writers, and all-rounded savvy communicators as the...